[T3] Update on my early Notch in the Shop!!! Early notch issues?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 20 14:02:46 PST 2010

On 20 Dec 2010 at 13:49, William McInerney wrote:

> Looks like I made a great decision on picking the mechanic I trust to work
> on my 62 Notch. I have Cerebral Palsy(very limited use of my right side,
> actually have mechanical restrictions on my Driver license....says I need a
> knob on the wheel and a left footed gas pedal...ha.

Conversion to an AT might seem desirable, but it would completely ruin whatever
originality the car still has. You would have to replace the complete rear
subframe and weld in brackets for the rear engine mounts. Then you would need a
'69 or later engine case to accept the rear mount crossbar. This would also
require switching to 12 V, because there's no 6 V AT starter.

If that's what you really want, you'd be dollars, hours, and miles ahead to
look for a nice AT '69. That would be hard to find in a notch, but a fasty or
squareback should be fairly easy.

Just converting to 12 V likewise requires LOTs of changes, not just bulbs and
relays, and it would probably end up destroying your wiper controls, unless
they are already dead.

Your first reaction was the correct one. Keep it original.

> ***Danger****Dave said that during the tuneup/valve adjustment...the valves
> were 6MM (Really!!!) out of adjustment!!! Can you believe that.

He probably said it was six mils out of adjustment. A mil is slang for 0.001".
I don't think 6 mm is possible.

Glad to hear that things seem to be working out for you.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, WI USA