[T3] Update on my early Notch in the Shop!!! Early notch issues?

William McInerney billymac53 at msn.com
Mon Dec 20 14:52:30 PST 2010

Yeah Jim,

Thats the whole issue. I fell in love with the Type 3 Squareback cause I was forced to look outside of Beetles and classic manuals and go with an automatic. Then through the Type 3 research I did as a kid....I found the Notchback. The Notchback is my favorite hands down....But I NEVER found an automatic. Also, it dawned on me that my preference laid with the early body style Type 3s and 66' and below Beetles. Therefore...auto as stock was not an option.  So my searches of getting a classic VW was put on hold. Until, I somehow learned to drive stick after breaking my hip in 2007, crazy how things happen and you find a silver lining. The possibilities were ENDLESS, but I was not financially able to get one!! Granted, I am by no means the best at driving stick, but I don't stall out either. Then my Dad passed away in 3/2010. Aircooled VWs is something that we shared together since I can remember, but I knew I couldnt drive stick. Anyways...I learned to drive stick, my dad passed and I now was blessed with the monetary gift of what my dad left...not rich by any means. I thought it was only right to get a Classic Dub with the inheritance in honor of my dad. So the search began. Beetles, Type 3s, Buses, Ghias...whatever...I was looking at them all. Then I came aross it, a well restored, but not exactly perfect(a little room to learn)...1962 Notchback. The dealbreaker for me...that the Tachometer it had!!!! See, since I drive with my right foot(Cerebral Palsy), I need the tach to balance and gauge my foot and see where I am at as my nerves and muscles aren't that good. That was it...I had the loot, I wanted my dream car and there it was. My dad would have loved this Notch and the fact that I proved all the doubters wrong by driving stick!! He would have been so proud!! Why with a story like that would I go through hoops to make this beautifully restored with NOS and orignal used period correct parts the Car it wasn't intended to be. Too be safe...please;-)

Thanks for taking your time to read my lil success story.

BillyMac