[T3] Push-rod length...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 30 15:07:29 PST 2010

On 30 Dec 2010 at 17:56, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/29/2010 9:21:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

> >  According to the Blue Bentley (61 to 67), there are 2 basic (starting
> > point) measurements. The first is for single circuit  master  cylinders,
> > it's 143.5+ - 5mm. The second basic measurement  is 149.5mm + - .5mm.

> I think we've been down this road before. It  appears that someone
> made a mistake in the dimension, at least for the  tandem MCs. I've
> never seen a published number that agreed with the  untampered late
> pushrods that I've measured.
>
> The number I've  recorded for my own use is 152-153 mm.

> I just pulled those numbers out of the blue Bentley. It's actually the
> starting point for adjustments that the factory made to each car to allow for
> manufacturing tolerances. It's measurement is from the tip to the center of
> the  hole (to attach the brake pedal). You still have to keep the 1mm
> clearance of  the rod to cylinder.

It sounds like the blue Bentley has just repeated the mistakes of the
past manuals. Unless your second number was meant to be +- 5 mm
(rather than .5 mm) I've never seen one within that range.

If it's +- 5 mm, then it seems odd that the ones I've measured all
fall within a small space at the upper end of that range.

I think we're all in agreement about this being a starting point for
a factory adjustment, plus the 1 mm of free play.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org