[T3] Jetta snow tires

David rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 20:08:19 PST 2010

[[[I'd like to find a better size for winter tires for our new Jetta. Wide
and flat may be trendy, but they're NOT good on snow or ice.]]]

Gail has a 2007 GLI, and it came with alloys; 225/45 R17. For the winter, we
bought 4 Firestone Winterforce 215/55 R16 snows mounted on steel wheels.
They are a directionally bias tire (left and right side tread pattern) and
this car/tire combo is amazing! This GLI will go thru any amount of snow.
I've lived here in upstate NY my whole life, and I've had my share of
cars/tires that don't work well in the snow. I too was concerned with the
width of these snow tires, and the fact that they didn't change the ride
height (the car sits pretty low as is), but they made a believer out of us
at the first heavy snow storm. They would have to shut down the roads in
order to stop Gail from driving home in a snow storm!

Dave Pallo
'72 Square ~ "Elwood"
Fairport, NY