[T3] tranny oil and shifting

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:11:46 PDT 2010

>  You didn't say how you figured out that you were a full quart low,
> so I doubt if you were really missing a full quart. Unless you have a
> way to get the oil in there really quickly it's hard to get it in
> there fast enough for it not to mostly level out.
>
> OTOH, if you did this with the car on an angle, with the front wheels
> still on the ground, then maybe this is possible.

 Well, I bought a quart of oil and got nearly all of it in there before it
dripped over the side of the fillup hole.  The car was up on ramps, all four
wheels, and it was level.

As for 3000 miles ago when we changed the oil, we had the car up on his lift
and it was level.  My buddy  had the gear oil in a cannister that was pumped
up thru a hose to a "cane" like fitting that fit in the hole.  I'm sure you
know the device I'm talking about.  Perhaps that type of pump goes quickly ?
 Maybe the oil was cold and not leveling out quickly?

Either way, I have not seen a leak on the magnitude that would allow 1 quart
to disappear.  The tranny seems like it has leaked at some point, but it's
not fresh anymore so I don't suspect any leaks.  I have some small oil leaks
from the engine but I believe I have successfully traced those to the push
rod tubes.

> I don't really know if this might have damaged your tranny, but my
> suspicion is that it will be okay.

that's good.....

> > My last question is about the shift lever and parts underneath the boot.
> >  When I have trouble shifting from N to 1st, there seems to be some
> > resistance.  Whatever that resistance is, once I get past it, there's
> kind
> > of a "thunk" sound and a feeling that makes you certain you are in the
> gear.
>
> It's normal to feel a thunk but not to actually hear it. The detent
> that you normally feel is inside the tranny, and it doesn't make a
> noticable sound. I wonder if your shift rod bushing is dead and
> you're hearing the shift rod bouncing around as you shift. Do you
> only hear this going into first?

I will drive it again and take better mental notes to answer this question.

Thanks Jim....

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback