[T3] tranny oil and shifting

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 1 20:53:08 PDT 2010

On 31 Oct 2010 at 15:54, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Appropriately for Halloween, I made a ghastly discovery today.  My tranny
> was low by 1 quart of oil.

 You didn't say how you figured out that you were a full quart low,
so I doubt if you were really missing a full quart. Unless you have a
way to get the oil in there really quickly it's hard to get it in
there fast enough for it not to mostly level out.

OTOH, if you did this with the car on an angle, with the front wheels
still on the ground, then maybe this is possible.

I don't really know if this might have damaged your tranny, but my
suspicion is that it will be okay.

> My last question is about the shift lever and parts underneath the boot.
>  When I have trouble shifting from N to 1st, there seems to be some
> resistance.  Whatever that resistance is, once I get past it, there's kind
> of a "thunk" sound and a feeling that makes you certain you are in the gear.

It's normal to feel a thunk but not to actually hear it. The detent
that you normally feel is inside the tranny, and it doesn't make a
noticable sound. I wonder if your shift rod bushing is dead and
you're hearing the shift rod bouncing around as you shift. Do you
only hear this going into first?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org