[T3] Loss of power at speed- could it be overheating- update

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 19:16:22 PDT 2010

In a message dated 11/2/2010 3:32:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Markse at mo-sys.com writes:

Jim  Wrote: "I'm not a carb guy, so I surprised to hear that things are
so  tight in there"

Well Jim it turns out it's not meant to be so  tight-  I have a
confession to make and I really have been very dumb  :-(

When I first bought my car ~10yrs ago I did a lot of work on it to  get
it roadworthy (worth doing- it hasn't failed an MOT since :-))
Part  of the work I did was to rebuild the carbs. Unfortunately the kits
I  bought didn't include the diaphragm for the vacuum release of the
choke  mechanism so I couldn't repair that. So I started collecting
spares- lots  of them. I ended up with a right mixture of carbs- most
slightly different  from one another. There seem to be 2 main varieties:
early and late. The  early ones have the main jet accessed from the side
of the carb body,  while the later ones are accessed from the end of the
carb bowl. Here's a  pic of the  types:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37269790@N00/5140677190/#/photos/37269790@N00/5
140677190/lightbox/

They  also have different floats! The early have longer more conical
floats  while the later have shallower floats to clear the housing for
the main  jet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37269790@N00/5140677186/#/photos/37269790@N00/5
140677186/lightbox/

So  guess what- I have the early floats in my later carbs!! :-(
And I have had  them that way for many years and been
worrying/complaining about the poor  mpg I get all that time!
What an  idiot.
Mark

Mark, nice job of searching out your problem. I've had problems with the
needle and seats that come in the kits, but never really knew there was a
difference in floats (never really looked at them that much). I think once you
 get the correct parts gathered together, it should run very well. : )
Again good  job.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)