[T3] No Start....but odd....

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 04:04:01 PDT 2010

The very large current the starter motor draws will certainly find out poor
connections in its circuit.  There is also an earth braid connecting the
transmission to the floorpan which is also a critical part of the starter
(and running) circuit so it would be worth doing the same thing there as you
did to the battery earth.

It's possible that the starter motor itself could do with some attention,
but it doesn't sound as if it's the main culprit.  Slow turning does suggest
excessive voltage drop under load, which could be connections, or perhaps
less likely starter bush or internal problems with the solenoid or starter
motor.

You can add a relay by the battery which effectively does the shorting of
the connections you did manually underneath.  It also takes the solenoid
load off the starter switch, and the wiring is easily intercepted near the
battery.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club