[T3] Voltage Regulator

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Sat Nov 13 11:22:51 PST 2010

I swapped positions on the V R for the battery and fuse panel
circuits. @ 2500 rpm I got the following: No Load, 5-6 amps to the
battery, 2 =/- to the fuse panel. Low Beam Load, 5-6 amps to the
battery, 19-21 amps to the fuse pane. My guess is the spade
connections had some gumpus/scale on the terminals, and the R & R
created a cleaner contact. I'm still reducing the wattage demand via
the headlamps, and installing the relays. I'm also installing a
voltmeter to monitor the battery for a while, and when I'm confident
I'll remove it.
Comment on Pertronics ignition:
I ran pertronics in this 73 FI for several years. I also carried a
spare distributor. It was not needed. I did not get the same economy
as with points, no matter what I did. 28 to 33 mpg on points, 24 to 28
with pertronics. I'm back to points as I rebuilt the engine, had
Wolfsberg Motorwerks Seattle do it, and they prefer the points. Much
of the comment on the Samba was the same. I carry extras for that now.
If anyone here knows where I can obtain a fresh air fan switch please
let me know. I just broke the one in the car. 2 steps forward 1/2 step
backward.
Thanks Tim
Tim & Paula Keohane
Purveyors of: