[T3] Voltage Regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 13 19:58:35 PST 2010

On 13 Nov 2010 at 11:22, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I swapped positions on the V R for the battery and fuse panel
> circuits. @ 2500 rpm I got the following: No Load, 5-6 amps to the
> battery, 2 =/- to the fuse panel. Low Beam Load, 5-6 amps to the
> battery, 19-21 amps to the fuse pane. My guess is the spade
> connections had some gumpus/scale on the terminals, and the R & R
> created a cleaner contact.

The current drawn by the battery is more a function of the state of
charge of the battery than anything else. It's really hard to compare
results of different tests like this, but it's possible, like you
say, that moving the contacts reduced the resistance there. I just
don't think it's very likely.

> Comment on Pertronics ignition:
> I ran pertronics in this 73 FI for several years. I also carried a
> spare distributor. It was not needed. I did not get the same economy
> as with points, no matter what I did. 28 to 33 mpg on points, 24 to 28
> with pertronics. I'm back to points as I rebuilt the engine, had
> Wolfsberg Motorwerks Seattle do it, and they prefer the points. Much
> of the comment on the Samba was the same. I carry extras for that now.
> If anyone here knows where I can obtain a fresh air fan switch please
> let me know. I just broke the one in the car. 2 steps forward 1/2 step
> backward.

Seems odd that the Pertronics would have ANY effect on gas mileage.
Both of your sets of numbers are higher than anything I typically get
in my FI Type 3s. It will be interesting to see if you get back to
your old numbers with the rebuilt engine.

I may have a fan switch. What broke, the knob or the plastic switch
body? I believe late beetles used the same switch.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org