[T3] Safe/easy way to pull FI harness connector out of computer?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 15 19:11:06 PST 2010

On 15 Nov 2010 at 14:54, Norman Roush wrote:

> Is there a safe and easy way to pull FI harness connector off of the PCBA in the
> computer box without damaging wires?  I have a '68 Sqbk MT and will be replacing
> the harness soon but want to keep the old one without damaging it.   I do not
> see any tabs or clips to pull.  Can I use a small hook to catch the far side and
> pull it off?

You can usually just grab the bundle of wires and pull away from the
PCB. Once that end come out a bit, you can reach in with a finger and
pull on the other end. Alternate these 2 approaches and it will be
quickly out.

You can make a sort of hook to reach behind and pull on the backside
of the connector, but you need to be careful to make sure that you're
pulling on the right thing. The A brain has a grey male connector
base attached to the PCB; you don't want to pull on that. Just pull
on the white cable end connector.

The B and later brains have the male connectors plated onto the PCB,
so they don't have the grey male connector base.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org