[T3] Safe/easy way to pull FI harness connector out of computer?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 19:34:08 PST 2010

In a message dated 11/15/2010 9:11:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 15  Nov 2010 at 14:54, Norman Roush wrote:

> Is there a safe and easy  way to pull FI harness connector off of the
PCBA in the
> computer  box without damaging wires?  I have a '68 Sqbk MT and will be
replacing
> the harness soon but want to keep the old one without damaging  it.   I
do not
> see any tabs or clips to pull.  Can I  use a small hook to catch the far
side and
> pull it off?

You  can usually just grab the bundle of wires and pull away from the
PCB. Once  that end come out a bit, you can reach in with a finger and
pull on the  other end. Alternate these 2 approaches and it will be
quickly  out.

You can make a sort of hook to reach behind and pull on the  backside
of the connector, but you need to be careful to make sure that  you're
pulling on the right thing. The A brain has a grey male connector
base attached to the PCB; you don't want to pull on that. Just pull
on  the white cable end connector.

Yeah, and once separated from the ECU, take the 2 screws out, so the cover
will come off the connector, and the rest of the connector will fit thru
the grommet and lay on the engine.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)