[T3] Fan Switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 18 05:52:47 PST 2010

On 17 Nov 2010 at 21:53, Tim Keohane wrote:

> Jim thanks I will look for some beetles in the area. I used contact
> cement and glued the shoulder back on to the body. It will work, at
> least for a while, as long as I don't tighten the securing nut too
> tightly.

Overtightening the nut is a common mistake. I did it, too, the first
time I messed with one of these.

> I have the same squeal in the motor on startup, and it  disappears
> after a few seconds. I replaced the motor a few years back,  and will
> take it out again and mess with the bearings. That wasn't  difficult,
> but it took some time.

Right, and a little oil in the bearings is a really good thing to do
after all these years. They are probably all pretty dry by this time.

> I need to get in there and reseal  the housing as it leaks cold air in
> the winter. ( cool air in the  summer )

Make sure your gasket, at the top, between the housing and the body
is in good shape and in the right position. If that's not the
problem, then the foam material that allows the air control flaps to
seal is probably no longer working. Unless your housing is actually
broken, it's seldom a problem.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org