[T3] Fluttering engine performance...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 24 15:19:25 PST 2010

On 23 Nov 2010 at 14:06, J. Jonik wrote:

> Hmmm....I realize that I've been calling my car a 71 TIII Standard
> shift Fuel Injection.  But, actually, the engine (and Control Box, of
> course) are 1972.   It used to be automatic but I switched to
> standard. All was great for years...until the Endless Fuel Problems
> etc that started two summers ago.

Okay, a '72 engine in a '71 car.

> -  Dist caps are the right ones. The difference between them and bug
> caps is too great to mistake that.

Okay, as long as you know the difference, this isn't the problem.

> -  Today, seeing that suction on Vac. Advance didn't do much, took
> apart the distributor, cleaned it, new white grease schmear on cams,
> used heavy paper to clean trigger points, and vac advance now moves
> easily. Forgot the drop of oil in the pad in top of dist post, but I
> do that commonly otherwise.    Car performed better...but STILL with
> some of that irregularity-hiccuping-flutter, slight lurches...most
> noticeable when driving very slow---"parade speed" ---in first gear.
> Is THAT symptom a narrower clue to some suspect parts?

I guess I'm still thinking about the trigger points being the
problem. How about letting me work those over along with the rest of
the distributor? If you've already got it all cleaned up, I can give
you a break on the usual price. You could just send the trigger
points, but sending the whole dist lets me check everything out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org