[T3] Fluttering engine performance...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 26 19:32:09 PST 2010

On 25 Nov 2010 at 22:57, J. Jonik wrote:

> Thanks for advising on a place to focus...the trigger contacts. But, I
> must have ten or a dozen sets, and have tried several....points all
> now cleaned with heavy paper, like the inside (non printed) side of
> matchbook covers....not fine sandpaper or even special Points Files.
> I may send one or two of the better looking ones to you for
> professional inspection, diagnosis (or autopsy) and approval...but
> isn't there a way to test for the best, or perfect, one(s)?

I don't have a decent way for you to tell what is good and what is
bad. Cleaning them the way you did was good, but it's not the whole
story. There's just no sub for having a complete, known-good
distributor.

>    I also have a box full of distributors and parts.  SOME combo of
> all this must be able to put a properly functional car together.

I agree that it's likely that SOME combination is likely to be good,
but finding that combination by random testing is unlikely to ever
succeed. As a co-worker once described it to me, "You're wandering
around in a multi-dimensional parameter space, just hoping to stumble
onto the sweet spot."

Sending me a couple of trigger points to check and reset is certainly
a step in the right direction, but your best option would be to send
me 2-3 complete distributors and ask me to make you one known-good
unit. That should get you by with the minimum possible cost, assuming
I can find all the good parts you need from 2-3 cores. It might not
fix your problem, but it would completely eliminate one complete area
of suspicion.

One of the worst customers I ever had kept all his old parts in his
tool box and tried to fix all his problems by random substitution
from his stash of old parts. Needless to say, his car eventualy
became totally undriveable. I had to resort to crushing bad parts
before I gave them back to him, just to keep him from putting those
parts back in his stash.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org