[T3] Voltage

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:34:54 PST 2010

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:15:22 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Voltage
>
> On 28 Nov 2010 at 8:24, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I have had the battery on a solar trickle charger since late
> > September.  Checked the voltage last Monday, and was at 12.1 volts,
> > which is better than last time down.  I left the battery on a wall
> > trickle charger Monday, 2 amps, until Saturday.  Checked it in the
> > morning, and was 13.8 volts, and near the end of the day with several
> > cranking/starts, voltage was at 13.1 volts.  I now need to know how
> > whether these voltages are out of specification, and if so, how far.
>
> These are reasonable numbers. It's clear that the solar charger was
> doing nothing for your battery. I'd put it back on the trickle
> charger until it gets to 14.4 V, but don't let it go any higher than
> that. Less charging current will take longer, but will do a better
> job.

How long though?  On my other batteries, it only took a day to get to about 14 volts.  This one seems to need a week plus.  Might also be that I am using a different trickle charger.  Also, since it is not home, I do not have endless electricity available, nor the means to monitor it since I am now at A.S.U. Tempe.  I will say that the trickle charger is doing some good, as it is maintaining the voltage, where without it, my batteries would drain fast and die fast.

> > Also, what is the minimum voltage for F.I. before it starts to affect
> > mixture?
>
> About 13.5 V, but that's a function of the VR, not the battery.
> That's the voltage with the engine running at medium rpm, so the
> voltage is controlled by the charging system.

Well, I wanted to eliminate it as a reason for running rich. ;)  I no longer as for major help, as you all do not like answering them, so I ask only what I do not know, then come up with my own conclusion.  Also, you all have taught me how to think, so I am not completely in the dark; thank you! :D

I got another question.  I pulled a set of calipers from a '72, thinking they may be the late calipers, but they are not.  How do I know if they need a rebuild?  Pads are fairly new, but... ;)  Or, if they do need a rebuild, can I trade them for late cores to be rebuilt?  Oh, an of course they are Ate. ;) l.o.l.

Thank you,
Adriel