[T3] Voltage

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 29 19:56:15 PST 2010

On 29 Nov 2010 at 17:34, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> How long though?  On my other batteries, it only took a day to get to
> about 14 volts.  This one seems to need a week plus.  Might also be
> that I am using a different trickle charger.  Also, since it is not
> home, I do not have endless electricity available, nor the means to
> monitor it since I am now at A.S.U. Tempe.  I will say that the
> trickle charger is doing some good, as it is maintaining the voltage,
> where without it, my batteries would drain fast and die fast.

Getting to 14 V is not the goal. Getting it fully charged is your
goal. They are not the same thing. You can get any battery to 14 V
with enough current.

If your battery loses its charge quickly, then you should suspect
some drain on the battery when the key is off.

> I got another question.  I pulled a set of calipers from a '72,
> thinking they may be the late calipers, but they are not.  How do I
> know if they need a rebuild?  Pads are fairly new, but... ;)  Or, if
> they do need a rebuild, can I trade them for late cores to be
> rebuilt?  Oh, an of course they are Ate. ;) l.o.l.

If there are ANY perforations of the rubber boots, no matter how
small, they need to be rebuilt. Use a large pair of pliers to push
each piston slightly back in its bore. If it does not move back out
when you release it then it needs to be rebuilt.

If you removed them from a '72 Type 3, then they should be the late
calipers. What makes you think they are not?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org