[T3] Voltage

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:29:17 PST 2010

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:56:15 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Voltage
>
> On 29 Nov 2010 at 17:34, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > How long though?  On my other batteries, it only took a day to get to
> > about 14 volts.  This one seems to need a week plus.  Might also be
> > that I am using a different trickle charger.  Also, since it is not
> > home, I do not have endless electricity available, nor the means to
> > monitor it since I am now at A.S.U. Tempe.  I will say that the
> > trickle charger is doing some good, as it is maintaining the voltage,
> > where without it, my batteries would drain fast and die fast.
>
> Getting to 14 V is not the goal. Getting it fully charged is your
> goal. They are not the same thing. You can get any battery to 14 V
> with enough current.

What is fully charged, 13.5 volts?

> If your battery loses its charge quickly, then you should suspect
> some drain on the battery when the key is off.

It has been a long time since I have had it happen, but any battery drains over time.  I do not have anything that would drain it, and I think at one point I did check.

> > I got another question.  I pulled a set of calipers from a '72,
> > thinking they may be the late calipers, but they are not.  How do I
> > know if they need a rebuild?  Pads are fairly new, but... ;)  Or, if
> > they do need a rebuild, can I trade them for late cores to be
> > rebuilt?  Oh, an of course they are Ate. ;) l.o.l.
>
> If there are ANY perforations of the rubber boots, no matter how
> small, they need to be rebuilt. Use a large pair of pliers to push
> each piston slightly back in its bore. If it does not move back out
> when you release it then it needs to be rebuilt.

No damage that I can see to the rubber, and it is still soft.  However, three bores do not move, and one does not return, so there is my answer...  I know how special Ate is, so figured better to get them, then figure out things later.

> If you removed them from a '72 Type 3, then they should be the late
> calipers. What makes you think they are not?

Late calipers have 3 inch bolt spacing, and these do not.  Plus, from seeing the differences at the Invasion, I can tell. ;)

Thank you,
Adriel