[T3] No start...but odd...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 2 18:30:23 PDT 2010

On 2 Nov 2010 at 16:04, J. Jonik wrote:

> T 3 71 FI....formerly (?) with Endless Fuel Problems.

> With Cold Start Switch disconnected, car needs several key turns to
> prime up the gas. Then it starts and idles nicely...but still with
> some perceived need to rev it a little to keep the idle up, as if it
> wants to head in the stall direction. Otherwise, it performs well.

You may want to consider installing a fuel primer switch. You can
make this yourself, or I can sell you one with instructions that make
it easy.

This lets you run the fuel pump without running the starter, which
takes a load off the battery and avoids excess wear on the starter
and the unobtainable '71 ignition switch. All my Type 3s have one.

> Just now, after it got dark, did that routine. It tried to start, as
> usual, but failed after cranking, as usual. Usually it will all come
> together after two or three tries.

If you don't have the primer switch, a better choice is to just turn
the ignition switch to ON for a second then back to OFF. Repeat 6-10
times.

> This time, however, second try was a weak one. Third try...nothing.
> No cranking. Nothing...except the Fuel Relay click....and classic
> slight dimming of Gen and Oil lights. Headlights strong, and battery
> test way up in "good" range on all cells.   This sounds like a Starter
> Problem...but I've never had starter problems that came up this
> way...as if it was cranking for a couple of tries then gave up.

Sounds like the battery, but it could also be connections. Get
someone else to turn the key while you check the voltage across the
battery terminals. Check right ON THE POSTS first.

>  Will do standard starter check (crossing the two solenoid terminals,
> cleaning tightening connections, etc.)  tomorrow in daylight...but,
> does this sound like a starter or solenoid situation?  Why'd it get
> weaker and weaker, then die?     Or, what else?

Weaker and weaker sounds like the battery, but it could still be
something else. How did you check your battery cells? A bad battery
can still have good electrolyte.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org