[T3] Rusted beam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 3 19:21:36 PDT 2011

On 2 Apr 2011 at 12:46, Chris Slaymaker wrote:

> Actually, the beam itself does not appear rusted.  The outrigger on
> the left is a shell of it's former self.  The rubber stops are long
> gone.  The outrigger on the right is starting to show signs of
> crumbling from within.  Should I be concerned?

Rust into the beam itself usually occurs under the rubber buffers
where the pan arms grab it. You can't see this damage until you
remove the beam. By the time rust shows anywhere else, the beam is
usually past saving.

Losing the bump stop horns isn't a show stopper itself, but unless
the car's been lowered, it is often a sign that water and salt have
taken their toll on the whole car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org