[T3] Posting for a friend any ideas?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 12 22:02:48 PDT 2011

On 12 Apr 2011 at 13:16, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> So between leaving Florence and getting home after picking up my
> replacement hose for my patched emissions hose my hood decided it didn't
> want to open anymore. I have tried everything sans cutting the cable to
> see if the tension release will pop my hood. I am worried about doing
> this as when I pull the cable to release the latch, the cable doesn't
> attempt to regain the tension.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on resolving the issue? Somba had one thread
> on a ghia that suggested cutting the cable, but it was for the rear
> hatch. Am I correct in assuming a hatch is a hatch?

What year?

I don't think cutting the cable will do anything other than make your
life more difficult. Taking the tension off just locks the latch
tighter. A couple things to check:

1) If this is a later car with the release in the glove box, make
sure the screw is in place that anchors that part of the release
lever to the tab that sticks out from the dash. Without that screw,
you'll destroy your glove box and it will be very hard to get enough
tension on the cable.

2) With the release lever working properly, as above, get someone to
help you by pulling on that lever. While they've got the lever
pulled, gently lever up on the hood to see if it might actually be
released, but is just sticking for some other reason.

3) Last resort. find another car from the same era and with the same
release lever. and see how the cable hooks to the latch. Drill a hole
in the front of the body such that you can lever the release with a
screwdriver.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org