[T3] RPM's "Pop" starting

Tom Hottinger tdhotti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:49:47 PDT 2011

The reason for using 2nd gear typically is just the opposite of your
assumption.  It lowers the RPM reducing the amount of compression you are
fighting to turn the engine over.  Often if you are on lose gravel or dirt
roads where I live and pop the clutch in first gear the back tires will
slide rather than roll.  Think of it like parking on a hill, first gear will
hold it on pretty much any slope (unless you have really sorry compression)
where as second or third will allow it to roll a few feet or more depending
on the angle of the hill.