[T3] Question re F.I. fuel pump cutoff

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 11:57:53 PDT 2011

Robert Bills wrote:

>>  The fuel injection fuel pump for my '73 Squareback is supposed to run 1-2
>> sec. when the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position, then stop
>> until the engine fires.  Mine did, but now runs all the time when the
>> ignition is turned to "on." . . .

Jim Adney replied:

> If the pump actually runs continuously as long as the key is ON, then I
> THINK the problem has to be that either the relay has been rewired to be
> controlled by the key, or the relay has been bypassed so that the key
> feeds the pump directly.

I think we may be onto something.  Whoever installed the aftermarket
audio system for the original owner tapped into the fuel pump wire for
power (despite the caution in EVERY shop manual not to tie anything into
the fuel pump electrical circuit.)  I removed that spice and wired my new
radio properly.  Perhaps the stereo installer also monkeyed with the relay.

I will check the pump relay connections to be sure they are correct.  If that
doesn't fix the problem, I'll test the relay and replace it if it fails (as suggested
by Robert Rogers).

There's always something, isn't there?  ;)