[T3] intermittent cutout

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 17:47:12 PDT 2011

  If you shut off the car and let it sit for a while, will it fire up
and run normally for a while before cutting-out? If so, sounds like
it might be the infamous VW clogged fuel filter. Rust, or whatever
the culprit may be, gradually sucks on to the filter element as you
drive, eventually cutting off fuel flow. If you shut off the car,
even for just a few minutes sometimes, some of the junk settles off
the filter element, and it will often run a little further before the
same thing happens all over again. It gets MUCH worse going uphill,
because the more you're on the throttle, the more apparent the fuel
starvation becomes. I've had this problem on EVERY air cooled VW I've
ever owned at some point. Of course, I am not knowledgeable at all
about the FI systems, and I suppose there could be a myriad of
possible causes within the FI.
  An additional note: I have had this happen before when the fuel
filters looked completely clean and like new; but upon removing the
filter, no fuel would drain out, and when I shook it up, suddenly the
fuel inside became RED with miniscule rust particles. Like a red snow
globe LOL.