[T3] Intermittent Cut Out

Chris Sheridan csheridan at virtual-consulting.net
Mon Apr 18 11:37:51 PDT 2011

Thank you for all your suggestions on my issue. Here is an update: I started
with the fuel filter as this seemed the easiest win and quickest thing to do
- my local FLAPS did not have the exact filter in stock and rather than wait
a few days to address the issue I bought one of those typical inline gm
filters made of metal. I changed out the filter, (Super unleaded really
feels good when it hits your armpit but it burns later) took a shower then a
test ride - the cutting out was still there so I ruled out the fuel filter.
Next I set about replacing the spark plugs as it has been about 3k miles
anyway, checking for fuel injection wiring connection problems along the
way. Plugs all looked good with a bit of grey discoloration on the tips but
no oil or fouling. Replaced the plugs and found that mine coil, (a black
coil but not original - maybe a year old) was secured to the bracket, but
the bracket to the motor was loose and it was apparent it had been bouncing
around for a few months. I switched back to a blue coil which I previously
had on there and secured the bracket to the motor but realized the bracket
collar bolt was also missing so I fashioned something to keep the coil from
bouncing around - took another test ride and found the same problems with
cutting out. So next I turned to the ignition. Jim had rebuilt a distributor
for me a few months ago - I installed new trigger points, cap, rotor,
points, condensor and installed it. Next test ride the problem disappeared.
Something with switching the distributor changed it. I didn't take a 20 mile
testride - just around the block so we'll see. Idle/timing still not perfect
but will work on that tonight after I return the rental car. THANKS!

-Chris