[T3] MoS2 and Bosch Spark Plugs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 26 19:58:11 PDT 2011

On 26 Apr 2011 at 14:39, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> What's the quantity (oz.?) & price on the MoS2?

I'd like $10 for a small tube. Not sure, but they're maybe 5 oz.
That's actually a lifetime supply. The stuff is a Dow-Corning
Molycote paste: pure MoS2 and oil.

> Bosch Spark Plug price (ea.)?

$2.50 for regular, $4.50 for platinum.

> I set the gap on the plugs when you worked on my car last summer, but I
> don't remember lubricating the threads on re-install.  And I don't remember
> the age or WHEN *new *plugs were installed.  I probably should put new ones
> in this summer.

Plugs actually last a lot longer than most people realize. Replace
them when the center electrode starts to get severely rounded. I
probably put some of my Molycote on your threads. I keep a 35mm film
can in my tool box for this purpose. It just takes a tiny touch and
I've not refilled the can in decades. Once you get some worked into
the threads in the head you really don't need to redo it each time,
but that's only true for the MoS2.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org