[T3] Chasing Engine Gremlins

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 14:40:52 PDT 2011

Jim Adney suggested that I check the regulated voltage of my Bosch 30-019 voltage regulator in my quest to root out the gremlins in my engine (stock FI; occasional exhaust "popping" when under load while cold).

Results:   The existing regulator tested at 13.5 volts at the battery at moderate rpm.  I replaced it with a new unit and tested again.  This time the result was 14.7 volts regulated voltage at the battery.

I was able to road test my Squareback the next day on a 330-mile round trip to a VW event in Solvang CA.  Not only did the engine run better, my fuel consumption went from 20mpg to 27.5 mpg.

Thanks Jim!!!

My next quest is to determine why the idle is rough when cold, and why the engine still "loads up" so that I sometimes have to rev it up to "clear" the cylinders before it will accelerate like it should.   An experienced (but prohibitively expensive) local mechanic looked at my motor and immediately observed that the injectors weren't matched (something my inexperience and lack of VW knowledge prevented me from seeing).    If that is true, it would explain a rough idle.  I suspect that one injector is bad and causing that cylinder to load up with fuel at idle and low rpms.  Two injectors (1 & 2) have yellow caps at the tip.  No. 4 has a green cap.  No. 3 is the oldest and appears to have a black cap.

Which are the correct injectors?  (If any)    Please school me on flow rates and which injectors are the best for a stock motor with the goal of maximizing fuel economy while retaining reasonable performance.   Someone, in a forum somewhere else, suggested bus injectors but my limited experience has thus far proven that the experts are here, not there.

Thanks.

Bob Bills