[T3] Meyle brake light switches

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 18 18:49:25 PDT 2011

Some of you may remember that the subject of brake light switches
came up a little over a year ago, when Brian, I believe, bought some
that we finally realized were made wrong. Soon after, I got some of
those same switches and found the same problem.

At that time, someone here came up with the name and email of the US
Meyle rep and I contacted him. He was very helpful and passed our
info back to Meyle. Well, the feedback has worked and now Meyle has
recalled all the old stock and has replaced it with correctly made
switches. The rep sent me some new switches, to replace the bad ones
I sent him last year, and I'm happy to report that they are now made
with the correct pinout so they will work correctly on our cars.

They are MEYLE part #100 890 0021 (ref VW #113 945 515G.) The Meyle
part number has not changed, but the rep has assured me that their
distribution system has been purged of the defective switches.

I don't have any quick way to determine whether these will last any
longer than the usual Brazilian switches which are common today, but
they look good, and I hope to put some of these to work when warmer
weather makes it to Wisconsin. I have these in stock if you need
them.

I am grateful to Robert Castro, their rep, for his persistence in
getting this fixed, and for remembering us more than a year later.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org