[T3] Re/ stuck front shock bushing... tips/tricks?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 17:08:07 PDT 2011

 A propane torch works to heat up those shock bolts.  Not much problem with bottom ones, but the top one will need maybe a sheet of tin flashing or the like behind the bolt to keep the inside of the whole wheel well from bursting into flame.   Good Idea to keep some soggy old towels handy, or fire extinguisher, anyway.
  The voice of experience.

On 22 Apr 2011 at 12:45, David Yaghoubian wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing new front shocks (RIP to my ~20 year
> old KYBs...RF was shot). The RF side was a cinch...took a few
> minutes, but in attempting to remove the LF shock I am hung up at the
> lower bushing. I have tried a mallet, pry bar, hammer/chisel on the
> outer ring, but it's still stuck. I hit the area with a bunch of PB
> Blaster, and was thinking of getting out the MAPP gas, but before
> getting medieval on it I was wondering if anybody might have a
> tip/trick up their sleeve to share.

Get the shock and rubber bushing off first. You can just lever them
off. This will leave the inner steel sleeve rusted to the pin on the
lower trailing arm. Take out your torch and heat up the sleeve. If
you heat it quickly, the pin won't get too hot because the rust is a
bit of an insulator.

Once you see the sleeve turn a very dull red, you can put down the
torch and grab the sleeve with strong pliers and twist it loose. Once
it twists, it will come off rather easily.