[T3] bleeding brakes question

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 07:28:24 PDT 2011

> I'm a little confused on the gravity
> system.  How do you get the air bubbles
> out?  Please explain the procedure in a little more
> detail. I've always used a helper.

Have been a terrible brake bleeder in the past I finally found a process that works for solo brake bleeding.

The key is to run the drain line from the bleeder -up- and then down to a container. By having it up hill of the bleed valve, bubbles go -up- and away from the valve. Bubbles at the end of the valve will be sucked back up into the cylinder if the tube runs directly down.

By doing this you can press on the brake pedal without the need for a helper.

I have confirmed this on my '64 Ford truck (which has lots more clearance than a VW). I was under watching what happened when my son pressed on the brakes and released with the bleeder tube heading up. It works great, there is very little drawback into the cylinder on the pedal return, but it draws fluid not air since the bubble went up and away from the valve. You do have to wait a little for the bubbles to move up.

Be sure to keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir.

Jeff '67 Sqbk - with great brakes, but a gas leak! however I'm on vacation in Montana, so won't get to fixing for at least a week.
For those asking about the parts I found at a VW show, I won't have access to anything until I return home.