[T3] bleeding brakes question

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:47:38 PDT 2011

I like the upward curving tube method and if I remember correctly, the illustration in the Bentley has the same configuration.   When I bled mine a couple weeks ago after replacing the rubber lines, I noticed the bubbles creeping back towards the bleed valve but having a helper, I was able to prevent them from going back in.
On a related but different note, I wondered about something a friend told me to be careful about when bleeding the VW brakes.  He said that when bleeding by the 'pump method', the person pushing the pedal down shouldn't go all the way down but only like 3/4 or so.  His reasoning was that when the brakes haven't been worked on in a while (as mine hadn't), there is corrosion that build up on the portion of the piston inside the master cylinder that doesn't move a whole lot during normal, less than full stroke braking.  He was saying that what can happen is that when you go to the floor w/no pressure, it'll push this corroded portion beyond it's normal range of travel and either damage the seals inside the MC, get stuck in the extended position or crud things up as the corrosion is scraped off.  Or something along those lines.  Result being: need to rebuild the MC.
Of course when I bled them I didn't know this so we went to the floor with it.  Now, I noticed that my pedal travels farther than before the bleeding and generally feels softer and I've been wondering if his tale could be a part of it (and a little worried I may have messed up the MC).  I did change the old fluid w/fresh when I bled but I adjusted the rear stars tighter so I expected them to feel harder.
Any thoughts on this?  The guy did a ton of restoration work on a '76 Bay window he had and pretty much does all his own work on his current Vanagon and New Beetle, so I typically trust his experiences.
-Jeremy