[T3] Oil Light...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 13:48:13 PDT 2011

Corrected to make sense!

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Dave Hall
Sent: 08 August 2011 21:40
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Oil Light...

VW say it's OK for the oil light to flicker if it goes out when you speed it
up.

Oil temp does have an effect on it.  My high-mileage (90,000 miles) Type 3
seems better than EVER in avoiding the flickering light since using straight
30 grade oil.  Thinking is that oil flow through cooler is greater so it
cools better, but then we don't get the sort of air temps you may get
(though IT WAS about 90F on drive back from Germany).

It may be a sign that bearings are a bit worn, but there's probably tens of
thousands of miles left UNLESS it's been doing it for a long time.  When you
start it, can you HEAR a knock for a few seconds until the oil pressure
rises enough?  That's a bit more warning, but not a death rattle!

For the rattlesnake noise, if it happens accelerating, it might be a bit of
knocking or detonation.  Check your spark timing is OK and your advance
springs are working properly - turn rotor against spring tension and release
- should spring back.

Otherwise, the fan housing screws tend to come undone, especially if the
engine has been rebuilt at some time.  If that's it, sort it before it chews
up the area.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club