[T3] 6V to 12V Wiper Conversion...

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 09:27:14 PDT 2011

On Aug 9, 2011, at 12:13 AM, John Jaranson wrote:

> OK, I am not too proud to admit that electrical and wiring stuff confuses the heck out of me.  <G>
>
> I have been meaning to swap a 1970 wiper system into Sophy (1966 Square) for some time.  This will give me a 12V motor and the vastly improved wiper arm attachment method.
>
> Well, I got the original system out and the 1970 system cleaned up.  That is when I noticed that the 12V 1970 system has 4 wires and the 1966 6V system has only 3.  Dug out wiring diagrams for each and see the differences but still not exactly sure how to use the 1970 12V motor with the 1966 switch.  I created a comparison image here....
>
> http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2011Misc/WiperWiring.jpg
>
> Do I just connect the 53, 53a, 53b circuits up properly and ignore the 30, 31, and 31b circuits?  Not sure since it looks like the power to the switch from the fuse panel comes in on the 30 circuit.

I figured it out!

I pulled the 1966 Switch from the dash and did a little bench testing.  I simply hooked the 53, 53a, and 53b circuits together correctly between the switch and the 1970 motor. (wire colors are different)  I ignored the 30 and 31b circuits/wires.  I applied 12V to 53 just as in the 1966 wiring diagram and used the ground from the wiper transmission.  Pulled the switch on and everything worked, including the variable speed rheostat in the 1966 switch.

Now I just need to go install it all back in Sophy.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com