[T3] Why early clocks fail

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 14:58:13 PDT 2011

The clock in your '73 Type 3 would normally be a black-faced transistorised
one.  They don't go 'clunk' every minute or so.  If yours does, it's got the
impulse wind mechanism, but I've never seen one of those with a black face.
I have seen a couple of grey faced transistorised clocks though.  I
refurbished the bezel in one and put it into my '71.  It kept excellent time
for a few days until we were parked at the side of a road in Germany trying
to locate accommodation, and put the flashers on.  The clock hasn't worked
since - the transistor seems to have blown.  Shame!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club