[T3] 6V to 12V Wiper Conversion...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 9 19:49:15 PDT 2011

On 9 Aug 2011 at 12:27, John Jaranson wrote:

> > http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2011Misc/WiperWiring.jpg

> I figured it out!
>
> I pulled the 1966 Switch from the dash and did a little bench testing.
>  I simply hooked the 53, 53a, and 53b circuits together correctly
> between the switch and the 1970 motor. (wire colors are different)  I
> ignored the 30 and 31b circuits/wires.  I applied 12V to 53 just as in
> the 1966 wiring diagram and used the ground from the wiper
> transmission.  Pulled the switch on and everything worked, including
> the variable speed rheostat in the 1966 switch.
>
> Now I just need to go install it all back in Sophy.

It's great that you've got it working, John. So Sophy controlled the
speed with a variable resistor. That won't give you as much speed
variation at 12 V as it did at 6, because there's less current at 12
V.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to connect both the high speed and low
speed wires at the same time. It may work, but I'm concerned that it
might draw a LOT of current and be hard on the motor. I THINK the
high and low speed wires on the '70 motor are 53 and 53b. You can try
them one at a time to see which is which, but I'm guessing that 53b
is the high speed.

If you can live with high speed and the rheostat, then just insulate
the other wire and tuck it out of the way. (It will be "hot" when the
wipers are running.) Otherwise, you could still add the extra SPDT
switch and have both high and low, each with resistor speed
reduction.

When you're done, make sure the wipers park themselves (power to 53a)
when you turn them off and stop instantly when you turn the key off.

It's also possible that your 66 was expecting a two speed motor and
you've got it wired right for that.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org