[T3] Brake Calipers

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 22:18:49 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 22:15:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Brake Calipers
>
> On 9 Aug 2011 at 18:09, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I am upgrading to late calipers, and understand the single bleeders
> > are rare. The rebuilds from Rock Auto had one with one bleeder and
> > the other two. I was told could not specify anything, but could ask.
>
> All late calipers came with 2 bleeders.
>
> Early calipers came with 1 bleeder, but later replacements for the
> early calipers came with 2.

Then why did Russ say lates came at first with single bleeders, seen
others mentioned, and I have an example of one?

> Rebuilds from commercial places will probably not use the OG pistons
> with their unique internal mechanism and the angled cutouts on the
> piston faces. They will probably work fairly well; most people won't
> notice the difference.

Well if I had known this, might have changed my mind.  Ah, how hind sight
is 20/20. ;/

> > How would one check, and how do the pads wear different?
>
> Check by looking at the size. The late caliper has larger pads which
> will last longer, probably show less fade, although I've never
> noticed fade in either style, but don't brake any harder.

They are three inch bolt spacing with the larger pads.  Mr. Hall was
saying the pads wear uneven if they were universal side, and was asking
how to tell if they do this.

Thank you,
Adriel

P.S. Just to confirm, difference in pad distance to disk in each
individual caliper makes no difference, right?