[T3] Mysteries and FI Parts

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:33:38 PDT 2011

Whoops, sorry for the huge run on sentence.  A combination of thinking I could 'make it quick' by making a huge list and an excessive amount of coffee are to blame for that one...  Thanks for weeding through it anyway.
Intake: I do have the plastic spacers in there and I put paper gaskets on after reading about how the metal ones are wrong for the FI intake runners.  When I pulled it apart, there were actually no gaskets at all and after putting some on, the idle was a whole lot smoother, so I think there was something in that.
Trigger Points: Interesting about the dwell drifting.  The guy I'm working with said he had a couple of sets from a good 914 that I could try out, so I think I'll check those out and see what happens and if it's no dice then it's quite possible I'll be sending them your way ($10 sure beats the $114 for a new set!)  I've actually debated getting a Bosch machine out of curiosity and a desire to be able to do quick tests all at once but I'm concerned about blowing cash on a dud unit...
Injectors: Do you mean the pins in the body of the injector that the plug slips onto?  I didn't tighten these up and I'm not sure how.  I carefully pulled the female 'faston' terminals out of the plastic plug housing and cleaned and tightened up the curled ends and the crimp on the wire.
AAR: It's quite possible that I just haven't run it long enough for the oil to get hot enough to close the regulator.  After my 2+ mile drive it felt like it was sucking as strongly as when I first started and when I plug it the idle drops considerably (I'd say down to 850 or so plugged from 1600+ open). I did pull it out and take it apart to free things up and lubricated with some clean oil.  I also tested it with some heated oil in the kitchen, slowly heating and checking to see if and when it closed.  It snapped fully closed at around 150F, maybe a little hotter but it doesn't seem to close like that in the car.  I left the adjustment on the spring where it was set (all the way to the '+' side of the scale) but I'm not sure what the + and - are supposed to indicate exactly.
TVS: I'd like to take a look at your write up on this.  I've read a few different long threads discussing the variations and methods for testing this over on the samba forum but frankly all the back and forth arguments can get in the way of getting a straightforward testing method.  I think I need to have the part in front of me, too.  I'm skeptical that this is the problem but I haven't tried unplugging and driving it, so I'll have to do that once I get the brakes back together.

Timing:  I have set it to what I think is 0 TDC using the diagram in the Bentley (looks like: |   | | |  the first line to the left being 0 deg then 5, 7.5, and 10?)  Set with both a static light and then rechecked and adjusted with a strobe.  I had the idle set at 850 with the strobe.  When I open the throttle, I can see the marks move left of the pointer on the fan housing (marks go this way facing engine <---- ) so I assume that means it is advancing.  Plus the vacuum chamber moves the breaker plate and holds a vac. and the centrifugal weights are moving freely, so I assume they're working OK.  I haven't done anything to check how far it's advancing but it moves past the right most mark (is this 10deg BTDC?).  I used the 0deg. mark prior to when the problem cropped up and the engine ran fine as far as I could tell, so I assumed it was correct.  There are some other cast marks on the pulley that are further to the left that are not illustrated in the Bentley, though so perhaps I'm not timing it to the correct one.
Voltage: I have yet to check from the fuse block or the voltage regulator, so I will do that and report my findings.
Ignition Switching Clicks: I definitely hear one and the whirr of the fuel pump, I'll have to stick my head down there again and listen more carefully for two.  I'm pretty sure there's two, though.  I assume this is the pump relay clicking?
FI Components: I've been skeptical of the FI system, too, especially after doing multiple tests with positive results.  After going through all the things I have, I thought that maybe something was amiss with a component and my tests weren't revealing it, so trying other units might reveal something.  One reason I wanted to find parts was so that I'd have some on hand just in case there was a complete failure of one sometime down the road.  Another thought I had was maybe some water got into the ECU because the problem cropped up after the car sat in the rain for a few days and it happened briefly once before during a heavy rain.  Although, when I looked at it it didn't look like it had leaked and the car ran fine in between the first time and the current extended issues.
Wiring Harness: The shop who used to work on the car before I bought it butchered the wiring harness at some point, either when they put the rebuilt engine in or 'fixing' ends by just cutting them and butt splicing back together.  Every wire has been cut and spliced with cheap pre-insulated splicers and all the wires have pretty brittle, cracking insulation.   Although my testing showed little to no resistance in them, I'd like to get ahold of a harness that I can rebuild to have solid clean connections.  Either way, let me know what you'd be willing to part with, even if the FI is OK, at some point I feel I should get ahold of some good spares.
Thanks for the pointers, hope this is more coherent.
-Jeremy