[T3] Brake Calipers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 05:42:25 PDT 2011

I would have thought some sort of plate is essential in there, if only to
ensure the pad is pressed on evenly.  I suspect it's not necessary to have
the inner grip teeth.  A simple shape with a hole for the pad pin would be
enough, I'd have thought.

For the effect of bigger pistons:-
50mm instead of 42 is 8/42 times bigger diameter, which is about 19% extra.
When you square that up for area you double the %, so 50mm would be 38% MORE
braking force for the same pressure in the brake fluid.

As you say, the braking balance would be very different.  With the 10%
difference of 40mm compared with 42mm diameter, the brake balance change
isn't all that problematic, particularly when it's quite hard to lock up the
rears anyway, and the fronts still tend to lock up under heavy braking.

The slightly smaller pistons generally just mean you need to press a bit
harder for the same braking force, as you would need to produce a bit more
fluid pressure.  Although sold as 311 parts, the thinking is that my
replacement calipers are smaller pistons.  I don't know if that's true, and
haven't pulled the piston out to check - nor will I.  They don't wear as
evenly as the original calipers did, but with the fairly low mileages I do
in the Type 3 (shame on me!) I'm not that bothered about that.  Usually they
will brake far better than calipers that need a rebuild!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club