[T3] Trickle Charger

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 06:02:14 PDT 2011

I find this business with batteries crazy.  I have an old Bosch 'white'
battery in my Variant (Squareback).  It must be at least 6 years old, and
may be older.   In the past 2 years the car was started maybe once every 6
months for about 18 months and run until properly warmed up - didn't even
leave home.  Often it turned the engine over and over while the fuel was
pumped through to the carbs.  I usually then put it on maybe 1/2 amp charge
for a few days perhaps 5 times in all the 18 months.  It has been used
monthly since then, including the 1500 miles to Wolfsburg and back, and has
only needed the normal charging with the dynamo.  Same old battery, abused
by neglect, not pampered, car lives outside.

These Bosch batteries are around $60- $70 equivalent, so not a bad price for
quality.

Can't you guys in the USA make a decent battery any more?  I wouldn't trust
a UK one either, so I'm not being gung-ho about this - Lucas are joked about
in the USA.

Virtually all modern batteries here are sealed - no gassing that I know.

Since fitting batteries to my cars myself, I've not had the crusting of
corrosion which Jim blames on 'mechanics' using a hammer to fit the clamps -
ugh!!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club