[T3] Brake Calipers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 18:04:22 PDT 2011

I suppose the shape of the piston retaining plate allowed the pad to act a
bit like the leading edge of the shoe, but not over its whole width.

Since both calipers wore similarly, I'm inclined to think there could be
something else at work.  I've not had problems like that with the original
calipers on any of my Type 3s.  In the event, they use the more common pads,
and don't get a lot of use, so I'm inclined to not worry over much.

Silicone brake fluid is available in the UK.  Around $50 for a US quart inc
shipping.  How much is needed?  Also available in litres and smaller sizes.
I see a 191 litre drum is around 1/3 the price per litre.  I don't think I
know 200 others who want some!

Maybe if/when I restore the Variant it will be a good move.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club