[T3] Mystery when replacing 1/2 shaft

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 16 18:22:54 PDT 2011

On 16 Aug 2011 at 15:47, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> When I removed the RR 1/2 shaft, on the tranny end of
> the axle, a small disc fell down on the ground.  I didn't see it fall so I
> don't know where it goes.  My only guess is that it was between the CV joint
> and where it mates on the tranny.  However, I can't seem to find it
> referenced in the Bentley.  It's like a cap almost and is slightly larger
> than a US quarter.

I can't find a good picture of it either, but if it's bluish-green
then it's actually part of the tranny. They describe pressing it into
the output flange of the tranny on pg. 29 of chapter 1. It also shows
up in the bottom right hand drawing on pg. 54.

Before you do this, grab the output flange and push/pull it in and
out. It should not move. If it does, ask back here again. If it's
solid, that cover should be pressed back into the center of the
tranny output flange. Use some sort of tubular driver to apply equal
force all around its perimeter. It keeps gear oil from leaking out of
the tranny and diluting the grease in the CV joint. It should be a
somewhat tight fit. If it's loose, you should get a new one, or I may
have a good one.

You should probably check your gear oil level if this has been loose.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org