[T3] Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 17 07:19:08 PDT 2011

On 16 Aug 2011 at 17:07, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Can someone on this site tell me the correct way to COPY previous responses
> by other members, so I can insert another comment?

There's no CORRECT way to do this, but I prefer inserting answers
after questions, so that he reference is clear and the text remains
more conversational. It also avoids the hazard of leaving a LOT of
unnecessary quoted material at the bottom of the message, which often
happens when people toppost.

Getting rid of excess material is just a matter of highlighting and
using the delete key.

Your replies don't seem to have the usual greater than sign at the
margin. That's dependent on the software you use for email, which is
either a client on your computer or the software at the web site if
you do webmail, which is most common these days. Either way, it's
usually a setting that you can choose in the software.

> Now back to the wipers:

> The final possibility is that both of them have slipped on their
> shafts. That's quite possible on wipers before 1970, where the wiper arms
> are held to the shaft by a set screw against a round shaft. That system just
> doesn't work very well. VW introduced modified arms later that involved a
> pinch clamp that worked MUCH better. You could try to find a pair of those,
> or you could try to file flats on the shafts, but that's hard to get just
> right.
>
> Jim; THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!
>
> BOTH of the wiper-arms-to-shaft had slipped.
>
> With the wiper motor/shafts in the PARK position; engine and ignition OFF;
> I could slightly rotate (5 to 10 degrees?) the wiper arms on each of their
> respective shafts.  I positioned the wiper blades near the windshield seal,
> tighten the screws and ALL seems good now!
>
> I believe I can remove the arms; locate exactly where the set screw has
> "marked" the shaft ... I can file a small "flat" on the shaft and re-install
> the wiper arms.  I'd like to make the "flat" on a Bridgeport, but that's
> probably over-kill.

Make a very small flat first, because it will almost certainly not
end up where you want it. This is a trial and error process, which
will work if you persist, but go slowly so you always have material
left to allow you to modify your position.

> The revised arms for '68-9 must be 311 955 407B & 311 955 408. They would be
> your best solution.
>
> Since my arms a showing minor rust, if I "stripped" them, were the originals
> spray PAINTED with SILVER paint?

Yes, it was a sort of matte silver. They changed to black halfway
thru the '72 model year.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org