[T3] Mirror adhesive...

Cybernotchback cybernotchback at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 07:47:19 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] Mirror adhesive...

On 16 Aug 2011 at 13:16, Cybernotchback wrote:

>  Jim's suggestion of coating the back side of the silver might work,
> but with other adhesives on the market I'd go for one specific for
> mirrors

I think the mirror adhesive that was suggested was one for attaching
a mirror mount to a windshield. This is for modern cars where the
center rear view mirror is actually glued to the windshield. That's a
very special adhesive, but it's not used on the backs of mirrored
glass. Plus it is not made to fill volume; it's used in paper thin
amounts between 2 surfaces that conform to one another.

Maybe you guys are talking about a different glue that I'm not aware
of, because the stuff I'm thinking about just wouldn't do the job.

The adhesives that I'm talking about are the ones that mirror installers use to install sheet mirrors in bathrooms.  It's a panel adhesive sort of like liquid nails and specifically for or not harmful to mirrors, and used in damp to wet locations.  It might be a bit messy for this job, (repairing or regluing a VW outside mirror to its frame), and you'd have to reuse the plastic around the glass to make it look neat.  I would also cover the face of the mirror and be extremely careful, this would probably last a good long time.    And without harming the mirror surface to boot.  There is also the option of foam or non foam backed double sided tape.   ISTR the outside mirrors of one of our H2O VW's ('87 Scirocco) were adhered with very thin foamed tape.  And I'm pretty sure I used super glue, (generic Krazy Glue) to adhere the mirror (glass) to it holder in my current drivers side outside mirror on my Cabriolet.  It's been this way for 4+ years
 with no damage to the silver.  So there are a few options out there.