[T3] smelling gas

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 18 07:55:07 PDT 2011

On 18 Aug 2011 at 10:01, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> engine end, on the passenger side. looks like the line has a cut in
> it...not leaking at the clamp. it seems easy to disconnect the one end,
> leading into the rear seat area, but the other end, which leads into the
> engine area, seems trickier.

That one you could actually replace by itself. You can use any 5/16
fuel hose there, as it has no bends, doesn't pass thru any grommets,
and it's unpressurized.

The rear end connects to the outlet of the pressure regulator.
Depending on which way the hose clamp screw points, you may be able
to get at it from above, thru the engine compartment, or from the
other side of the tranny, over the top with a long screwdriver, or
the easy way, from below or over the starter.

I would definitely use clamps on both ends, the weight if the hose,
filled with gas, will pull on the ends.

It seems odd that it would get cut there. That area is pretty well
protected. Let us know what it looks like when you get it out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org