[T3] Throttle Valve Switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 18 20:33:04 PDT 2011

On 18 Aug 2011 at 15:30, Jonathan Stiles wrote:

> I was given a '70 Square and towed it 1250 miles to the shop. I am in the
> process of going through it. It needs some TLC, but itis worth the effort.
> I noticed one if the idle contacts is broken off of the throttle valve
> switch and the switch needs replacement. Anyone have a switch from a '70
> that needs a home?

Welcome to the Type 3 email list. Where are you located?

I'm sure I have a good used TVS here. You'll also need my
instructions on how to adjust it. For now, however, you can just
disconnect the TVS and get the car running without it. Once you get
everything else working well, then you can get all the parts you need
at the same time. In the meantime, the engine will work almost
perfectly without the TVS.

> I actually would like to get my hands on a full duplicate FI system at some
> point.

It's common for people to want to have spares for everything, but
this is silly because some parts are almost never needed, while the
parts you actually do need will be very varied. I suggest you wait
and see what you actually need.

I currently have 3 FI Type 3s. All of them have almost all of their
original FI parts. The most common items needed are TLC, as you said,
repair of the gas tank overflow hose, for which I sell a kit,
replacement of the voltage regulator, a pump priming switch, and a
fuel pump rebuild, which I also do. You'll find out if you need the
overflow kit the first time you fill up the tank. The TLC is coming
along right now, and you'll recognize a pump problem when you see it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org