[T3] Why early clocks fail

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 8 19:41:22 PDT 2011

I just fixed an early (up thru '70, the ones with the white plastic
backs) clock for someone who asked what goes wrong with them. I
thought this might be worth sharing with everyone.

These early clocks use a solenoid to wind the clock every minute or
so. When the spring winds down a bit this lets a set of points make
contact, energizing a solenoid which "kicks" the winder and opens the
points. I believe this is typical for all car clocks up to around
1970.

There's a "fuse" in these clocks that opens up. This typically
happens if the car is left in storage with the battery installed. As
the battery discharges, it gets to the point where no longer
sufficient voltage to kick the winder, so the points stay closed and
draw current continuously until the fuse blows. The clock normally
draws current for only a fraction of a second, and that current
normally never gets large enough (or long enough) to trip the fuse.

The "fuse" is actually a tiny rivet made of very low melting point
solder. I repair it by melting it and rejoining the connection. I
also add a diode across the solenoid to minimize arcing when the
points open. Then I flush out the works and lubricate each of the
pivots with clock oil. The repair is usually pretty straightforward,
but these clocks never kept very good time.

In 40 years, I've only seen one of these clocks where the bearings &
pivots were actually worn out.

The moral? Disconnect either the battery or the clock if you park the
car for a long time (months.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org