[T3] oil and heater channel air temperatures

Paul P paul.ie at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:34:35 PDT 2011

I was doing an oil change, so I took some oil temperature readings using a type K thermocouple wire plugged into the multimeter - accuracy checked and spot on.

Ran car for 20 mins mostly at 100 kph /  62 mph.  Single carb.
 1500 cc K engine, 1970 notchback, so this 'effort' is maybe equivalent to 70 mph in a dual carb/FI... Car is tuned up well at the moment. Little wind and mostly level roads, and only myself in car.  Anyhow, data ;

Outside air temp;  c.18 C…

Temp. with probe at dip stick end area - 75 C (167 F) –
Temp of the c. 2.5 litres of oil after discharge-  c 80C–  so a small difference with dipstick reading -  not surprising I suppose. I’ll repeat this the next time.
(By the way I leave a probe in the dip stick tube end - the oil filler cap will still fit on easily and you can tuck the probe socket away).

Ran the car with the ‘front’ heaters full on, because I also measured the air temperature inside the heater channel, just behind the left footwell vent (with both vents closed- thermocouple wire is thin, so
 you can close…)- temperature went to  95- 97C, after engine had heated up in 12-15 mins. I always knew it was hot, but was surprised how hot. I wonder could this be a useful index of cylinder head temperatures, and has anybody else measured their heater channel temps ?
I returned along the same route later in the day, with the heaters off, and the oil dipstick temperature
 was 72 C.

Paul