[T3] Fuse Box caution....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 8 19:41:22 PDT 2011

On 8 Aug 2011 at 15:02, J. Jonik wrote:

> Despite several attempts to silicone-seal the windshield (or
> "windscreen" if one prefers) rubber, small leaks have developed or
> remained.

> Only once, on a rainy day, did it happen that water dripped through
> the seal onto the fuse box...with the resultant sparking and car
> cutting out. No big problem, unless you're in the Lincoln Tunnel or
> something.   Undid the fuse box, dried as much as possible, stuck
> paper towels along inside of window rubber...and all was well. So far.

Sparks? Really? Seems really unlikely with water and 12-14 V.

>  Is there any good, tested, CURE for the old windshield rubber? Or
> does it really have to be replaced?  (Not cheap, I think)

I've had good luck with sealants you can get from glass shops. Get
everything clean and then lift up the lip and put a small bead
between the rubber and the body on the outside of the car.

If the leak is between the glass and the rubber, you can put a small
bead of clear sealant right at that joint on the outside of the car.

Either way, you must do it ALL the way around the windshield.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org