[T3] Brake Calipers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 08:10:32 PDT 2011

I think most VWs after the Type 3s got aome sort of brake proportioning
valve.  Type 4s had a prssure limiting valve on the rear, and our 74 Camper
did, plus all the watercooled VWs we've had since.

I appreciated that the piston retaining plate isn't the full thickness of
the step in the piston.  The proper VW pads have a cork (?) layer on the
back which I presume allows an amount of variation in the pressure across
the pad.  I suppose the flexibility of the steel backing just makes sure the
greater circumference of the outer area of the disc  doesn't wear the pad
more than on the inner area.   Pretty careful engineering work by the brake
designers, with the anti-run-out compensation mechanism in the caliper too.

The uneven wear I find is more to do with the inner and outer pads, and the
last set wore out the inner pads while the outer were still only about
half-worn (I think it was that way).  I concede this may not have anything
to do with the step.  The first set in the calipers wore out quite quickly
too.  I can't be sure when I fitted them, but I bought them when Tom
Siligato from Ford Detroit came over and stayed a couple of days.  We
visited a local VW event, and I bought the calipers there.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club