[T3] type 4 2000cc oil pressure and overheating problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 9 07:46:24 PST 2011

Hi Pablo, welcome to the Type 3 list. I hope we can help.

I don't have much Type 4 experience, but I still have a couple of
suggestions.

1) Check the oil pressure relief valves. Make sure that they have the
correct springs and that the pistons are not stuck in the bores.

2) I'd try a lighter oil, like 10W-40. That will provide more flow
and will carry more heat away from where it is generated. In spite of
what everyone thinks, oil pressure is not nearly as important as oil
flow.

3) Make sure the thermostat linkage is set up correctly and that the
vanes are opening as the engine warms up. Type 4 air control vanes
are more complicated, so don't assume that everything is working.
Check them.

4) Make sure that the engine is drawing in COOL air to cool itself.
I'm not sure how your cooling airflow is set up, but it must not be
allowed to suck in warm air. Some Type 4 engines use a large foam
seal around the edges of the engine area to keep hot exhaust air on
the underside from getting back up to the top side where it can get
sucked in and reheated. You don't want that; you want only fresh,
cool air coming into the intake.

5) Make sure your distributor advance mechanism is working. You can
test this with a timing light. You should see the timing marks move
(vacuum hoses off) as you increase the engine speed.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org